About Me

My photo
I'm here to promote irresponsibility and endorse carelessness. I'm old enough to know better and young enough to still be reckless. I'm originally from the U.K but have spent long periods of time living abroad and travelling abroad. In all honesty I find the western world too clinically clean and sterile. How can anything thrive in such a sterile environment? My last six years have been spent stagnating, trying to fit into the social norm. I can't. I'm not normal and strange as it sounds, I'm proud of that. My sense of disconnect to something greater was depleting, so, I'm doing what I do best. Falling through life. I have no plans for the future, so lets see if the future has plans for me.Apart from that, I'm a bloke. I'm single, after all who the f@#k would put up with me? I enjoy adventure sports like paragliding, rock climbing, mountain biking and a little bit of caving. I generally make an effort to not to care less about life in general. https://steemit.com/@carp100

Blog Archive

Translate

Tuesday 24 January 2017

trying to find the rhythm off writing again...



Blog 30

So, Colonel Kurtz has left the farm. He's not allowed back either. He was causing a scene in a bar back in town the other day. He went into the toilet of the bar and walked out a couple of minutes later wearing his bikini. The man's going to get himself in trouble. A couple of days later he arrived at another bar wearing a scarf as a skirt, proudly admitting that he was wearing it because he had shit his trousers. TWICE! He just gets worse. Which is quite a tall order from him. I know it sounds like bullshit but believe me it's not. He's just another casualty of South East Asia.
I've been working with some Khmer locals, fixing an old fishing boat. These guys are real poor. They live in little shacks made out of tin and plastic sheeting. Some of them live in stilt houses out in the mangrove river. A bit like the floating villages you see. They haven't got a lot but what they do have they are very generous with. It's nice sitting around with them as they pass around sun dried fish and Khmer whiskey. A little old lady popped her head out of one of the shacks, smiled at me with a smile that would melt your heart and passed me a big bag of weed.
We had to cut a passage way through the mangroves to get the boat out onto the land. It took three days but it's on the land now and ready to be worked on. Sorry I'm losing track of what I'm writing at the moment because I've got the biggest pain in the f@#king arse sitting next to me, talking at me. He hasn't shut his f#@king mouth for the last two hours. I'm trying my hardest to ignore him but he's oblivious. He couldn't give a f@#k. All he's interested in is talking shit at you. It's a pity I couldn't record him for you to listen to. He's still going on and on and f@#king well on. Oh, for f@#ks sake, SHUT THE F@#K UP man, you want to listen to the absolute shite he's spewing out (worse than some of my blogs).
He's really doing my head in now.Thankfully he's pissed off out of here but now I've lost my rhythm.
Since arriving back in Cambodia I've stayed in the same area. It's not really touristy.The odd backpackers that cruise in only stay a night or two and that's generally only to access the jungle for trekking. The town itself isn't that big and doesn't have a huge amount to offer tourists but it does have a certain charm that grows on you. There's a small community of expats living here, Mainly French and English. The river front's a cool place to hang out in the evening. There's various stalls set up along there so you can kick back with a beer and watch the evening turn into night. I buy these boiled eggs from a stall there. They have half developed chicks inside them so a small part still has egg white and yolk but the majority is a boneless chick even with a fine coating of fluff. sometimes when you crack an egg open a floppy, semi formed boneless head will slip out. Basically you try and suck the whole contents out in one. I know it doesn't sound too appetizing but they're delicious. I ate six the other night but I was smashed.
I can't believe that I've already been here for about twenty five days. Why not! I like it.
In fact when my visa runs out I think I'll renew it and stay a while longer. I really need to make more of an effort to learn the Khmer language. I only know about five words and I've become really good friends with some of the guys around here but conversation is limited to say the least and the usual conversational charades can only get you so far.
I really want to have proper, meaningful conversations with them but a lot of the time I feel as frustrated as a leper with a touch screen phone. I have found that a decent amount of Khmer whiskey helps break down the communication barrier.
Speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment